I am about to complete a three-month visit to family (precluded by my parents being in my home for a month!). I cannot believe I'm even typing that. Not only have I never considered such a feat, I honestly thought such an event would end in murder, suicide, or both.
But God's hand was written all over this time, and it will be a season we will all cherish - my parents, my in-laws, my children, some sweet friends, and myself. Not because it was full of sunshine and candy. Quite the opposite, in fact, for much of the time. Sickness, anxiety, loneliness (no hubby!), ER visits, and very difficult decisions and transitions regarding my dad's failing health pretty much filled the docket. Yet, in the midst of it, and in-between the stressful events, precious memories of living life together in a way I never dreamed possible has made this season a treasure.
My son E. is studying Joseph right now. You know, the Joseph in the Bible - the guy who starts out pretty sure of himself, only to get stuck in a pit, sold into slavery, and thrown into prison.Yeah, life seriously sucked for him for a while. And yet at every turn you find him working hard and finding the favor of God. Yes, the favor of God in PRISON.
He is one of my all-time favorite Bible characters. He didn't do everything right but he sure did his best. He experienced some of the most gut-wrenching nightmares any of us could conjure. He was seriously tempted to make people pay for the wrong they did to him, but in the end he could only say:
19... "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? 20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. 21 So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children." And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them. (Gen. 50:19-21)
Deployments are hard. Illness, and aging, and dementia, and the various other cruelties of this world, can truly wear us down. But I continue to return and cling to this statement: "God intended it for good."
I can see so much good already.
No comments:
Post a Comment